THE PARIS TO LOIRE VALLEY TGV TRAIN - TICKETS & TOURS
If you’re wondering how to get to the Loire Valley from Paris in the quickest way, then this is your solution.
Here at The Real France® we can book your Paris to Tours train tickets and if needed, help advise you on any aspects of your trip.
Going by train to the Loire valley allows you to enjoy the train from Paris to the city of Tours which is an experience itself.
Depending on the departure time, most of the trains take just over a 1 hour with you speeding through the countryside at 300km/h.
We can ensure that you get seats together and you can enjoy the service of the café/bar wagon. Feedback from travelers who are not used to rail journeys in France, frequently mentions just how smooth it is.
Our services for your Loire Valley Train day trip or half day trip: (we can offer just one or all of the following)
- Train tickets with delivery to hotel or email
- Booking Loire valley castle tickets in advance
- Organizing driver for Loire valley train station to castle transfers
- Booking you an expert English speaking guide for the day
- Advice on how to get the most from your day trip to the Loire Valley
HOW MANY LOIRE VALLEY CASTLES IN A DAY TOUR FROM PARIS?
For a couple or small group, you could cover 3 castles (or “châteaux” as we say here in France) but it will be a busy day.
Trying to see more than 3 is not realistic; you can “see” them but not truly experience or learn anything when so much is packed in.
We have found that most people prefer to cover 2 Loire Valley castles and also enjoy a visit of the local towns such as Tours or Amboise.
It depends on your priorities. Some castles are easier to combine than others depending on distances.
Most Efficient Loire Valley Tour & Castle Combinations by Train (Day trip)
- Amboise Castle + Clos Lucé + Chenonceau Castle (allows time for lunch & exploring the town of Amboise)
- Villandry Castle + Azay le Rideau (allows time for a meal or shopping in the city of Tours)
- Rivau Castle + Abbaye de Fontevraud (can be combined with lunch & visit in Chinon)
We remain on hand with any further questions you may have before arrival in Paris and you will receive your private guide’s cell phone number to help finalize any final plans if needed
LOIRE VALLEY WINE AND CASTLE TOURS
If you’re also looking for a Loire valley wine tour to enjoy some of the excellent local wines then this can easily be combined with a castle tour.
We tailor make most of our tours for you but here is an example of one that we run which gets great feedback:
- Start the day with a short visit of the town of Tours
- Drive out to the town of Saumur on the banks of the Loire river
- Enjoy a visit of large producer. Here they produce both local “crémant” sparkling wines as well as still wines
and you can enter the cellar complex and learn how the estate manages its production. And of course enjoy the all-important tasting experience!
- Afterwards you’ll have time for a brief lunch before driving on for either a visit to the Château de Villandry OR the Azay le Rideau castle
- Continue onwards to visit an authentic family run “Vouvray” winery where you will be able to see where the grapes grow and learn about the production process,
the terroir, the history and the culture of this unique Chenin Blanc based wine. And of course plenty of tasting!
- Return back to Tours for your train to Paris
Idea: With the above tour, if you prefer you could visit 2 castles and just 1 winery, it depends what you are keener on.
Trying to cover 2 castles + 2 winery’s is not really feasible unless you took the later train back (arrival after 9pm) and would depend on the time of year.
PRICES FOR A DAY TRIP OUT OF PARIS BY TRAIN TO LOIRE VALLEY CASTLES
Train only: €60 per person return
This is an average rate example, some dates can be more, some less. The rates are the same rate regardless if your preference is for window or aisle seat, upstairs or downstairs
(- yes, many trains are on split levels). First class tickets are typically about €10-20 more per person.
If you want to use us for ticket arrangement only then we apply a booking fee of €10 per person.
Full Day Loire Valley Tours – Including Train, Local Guide & Car or Van:
€390 - 440 per person if you are between 2 to 4 people max
€210 – 260 per person if you are between 5 to 7 people max
The prices can vary depending on time of year and importantly how far in advance you book (the train operator, like airlines, often increase the rates later).
The prices include train ticket (2nd class) and pick up with private vehicle, 8 hours’ worth of private expert guiding & all transport from Tours.
Allow €10 per person on top for each castle or wine estate visit.
Rates per person are cheaper when there are more of you, simply because the cost of the guide & transportation in the Loire valley is then divided between more of you.
We only run private tours and will never put you with people outside of your group.
Half day Loire Valley Train Tours:
There is a fast TGV Loire Valley train that leaves Paris about midday, this means you can still be in castle country in time for lunch!
€ 270 – 320 per person if you between 2 to 4 people max
€ 145 – 195 per person if you are between 5 to 7 people max
This includes return TGV train ticket, pick up in Tours and between 4 to 5 hours’ worth of private local transportation & expert guiding.
Entrance costs not included. Prices depend on dates and how far in advance booked.
You will have time to visit one castle of your choice very thoroughly with a short guided tour of the local town or a relatively quick visit of a castle + local wine estate tour.
We can help advise you on the best choices.
We can also arrange a private transfer between your Paris hotel and the train station if needed.
For anyone worried about how things work at the station, we send you easy to follow instructions.
If you’re looking to travel by train, it often means you are a relatively independent and savvy traveler; however, please don’t make either of the following assumptions:
- “I can just sort my tickets out at the station”
For a day trip to Tours, you will be leaving in peak time and the seats get booked up well in advance on many dates. If you do decide to risk it, remember that most of the fast trains in fact do not stop at the central station in Tours.
Instead, they stop at a station in the suburbs of the town; at a place called Saint-Pierre-des-Corps. That can help explain why many people struggle to find the right train when using the ticket machines.
- “I will play it by ear once we arrive in Tours”
The castles are far from the town of Tours and you will need transport.
If you just arrive at the station hoping to get a taxi, you risk being charged a very high rate and may struggle to get one at all.
If you do decide to risk it then make sure that you are very clear in your instructions for any pick up times later or continued use of the driver to avoid surprises or misunderstandings.
Write it out first clearly with times and places for what you need and agree on a rate before leaving (in the case of a private VTC licensed vehicle)
or check that there is a working meter (in the case of a standard taxi).
HOW TO BOOK YOUR LOIRE VALLEY TRAIN AND DAY TRIP FROM PARIS
- Send us an email to email@example.com with the date/s that you are thinking as well as your group size.
Let us know if it is train ticket only or full tour that you are wanting. If you have any specific castles that you are hoping to visit,
please let us know and also if you were hoping for a Loire valley wine tour also and if you were looking for a half day, full day or 2 day tour.
- We will reply quickly with a price and any suggestions or helpful comments we can give. If you are then happy we will send you the final booking information with payment instructions.
- Upon confirmation and receipt of payment we will arrange for your tickets and tour based on what was agreed.
We will send practical information before you travel with any advice and we remain on hand with any further questions you may have before or during your time in France.